Dr Ken O’Brien
Specialist Mental Health Social Worker
- Intergenerational Transmission of Trauma
- Emergency Service and First Response Personnel
- Families of Veterans and Emergency service and first response personnel,
- Men’s Mental health
- Stress Management
- Transition from Military/Emergency services
- Child development
- Assertiveness Training
- Leadership Coaching.
Ken is a Specialist Accredited Mental Health Social Worker with over 30 years’ experience in traumatic stress. He has worked in military ex-service organisations, corrective services, child safety, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander services.
Ken’s approach through Strengths and Solutions-focused strategies, Narrative and Acceptance and Commitment Therapies (ACT) help people gain skills and strategies to be the best they can to thrive and not just to survive. He uses his extensive employment background to inform his therapeutic approach and to build a connection with his clients to help them turn life’s challenges into life’s victories.
Ken is a clinical supervisor and provides EAP supervision services to Australian and International workers in the health services and mental health sector.
Ken works with teenagers, adults, men, couples and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders.
- PhD The intergenerational Transmission of PTSD
- Master of Social Work PTSD
- Bachelor Social Science (Hons) Psychology
- Bachelor Arts Psychology & Corrective Services
Registrations and Memberships
Australian Association of Social Workers (AASW)